Wednesday 29 November 2006

Bahrain

You may have wondered why I have put a link to a Bahraini blog site on the left. Well, I used to live in Bahrain and spent 8 wonderful years there returning to the UK in December 1986. In fact, in a few days it will be exactly 20 years since I left. Well, I still miss the place. The work was hard, but then so was the social life!!! I made many good friends there and I still miss the lovely waters off the coast. I used to co-own a ski boat and we would go water skiing or have a picnic on some of the smaller islands near to the Yacht Club.

I was browsing some blogs last night and decided to do a search on Bahrain and came across several sites. One had some pictures, including a trip out on a boat and seeing the colour of the water brought it all back. Ah happy days.

Mind you, in 20 years it has changed an awful lot. They had started land reclamation before I left but now there is masses of extra land on which they are building all sorts. I would like to go back for a visit but can't afford/justify it yet.

One thing to remember though is that it gets HOT and very HUMID there in the summer, but the spring and autumn were delightful. Winter even felt a bit chilly (well compared to the 42 degrees centigrade in the summer, when it falls to 10 degrees it feels cold (grin).

It would rain occasionally in the spring but most of the time it was dry. Not like here in Scotland where it is occasionally dry and rains most of the time!!.

The blog on the left is a fairly political site at the moment (they have just had elections there and some of the practices seem a bit dodgy). This guy certainly does not hold back, but he also has links to a lot of photographs and that is what I like looking at, seeing what has changed and what has not. I may add a few more links as and when I find them.

Byeeeee

No comments: