Wednesday 6 December 2006

I'm Back!!

Well, I made it back from the wilds of East Scotland at the weekend. A bit wild and windy but still very enjoyable. We stayed at an hotel that had the makings of a story for Fawlty Towers. OK, the beginning of December is not a good time to visit any hotel, but you would think that they would turn the heating on in the rooms before 4.00pm (especially when it is getting dark by 3.30pm).

They had a fabulous lounge, very high ceilings, comfortable settees and a magnificent wood burning fire and yes that is an elephant on the wall!!!!. Only problem was the manager did not heat the room with the fire, he used 2 electric radiators. They don't give quite the same atmosphere as a log burning fire. :{

We did get to see it with the fire burning as there was a wedding in the hotel on the day we arrived (Friday) and it was in this lounge so the fire was lit then, but as mere guests we couldn't use that room, it was for the wedding guests (sigh). The other days it was not lit.

The restaurant had all the atmosphere of a tiled bathroom. White walls, big empty room , strong lighting and hardly any guests in it. It was £27 each for the evening meal so we decided to go into St.Andrews on one night (very good restaurant called The Dolls House.), Dundee another night and a bar meal in the Hotel for the third night.

Breakfast was another experience. No napkins on the table. Only half the cold buffet items set out (you had to ask for yoghurt and the croissants were being delivered the next day). Mind you my wife did say that the black pudding and haggis included in the full Scottish breakfast were very nice. Not that I would know as I cannot stand them. It did mean that I got her mushrooms and tomatoes and she got my black pudding and haggis (grin).

I would say it is an area I would like to visit again (if only to try some of the other restaurants we found but which were closed on a Sunday). However I don't think we will be staying in the Sandford Hotel.

I will try and upload some pictures tonight when I get home.

We drove round the Fife coastal route and it was very nice. There are a lot of small harbours
in the area and they looked lovely, apart from the seas being lashed up onto the harbour walls and the gale force winds. What do you expect, it is December!!! We were lucky. It only rained on the Sunday. The other days were dry and bright (just very windy). On the west coast of Scotland they were getting heavy gales and severe flooding. I'm glad I was on the east.

A little retail therapy in Dundee and Perth meant I was able to get my wife's Christmas present. She chose it. She is into Radley bags and this will be her third. This is not something I understand as a mere man. We also stopped off at a retail outlet park at Tillicoutry on the way home. It has been a couple of years since we have been there but it hasn't changed that much (apart from the Windsmore shop closing down).

Byeee for now.


No comments: